I only want to work an eight-hour day.
(我一天只想工作8小时。)
I don’t want to work overtime.
(我不想加班。)
I dislike working longer than I am scheduled to work.
(我不喜欢超工作量地加班。)
dislike “不喜欢”。scheduled “被计划的”。
我更愿意这个时间能自由支配。
Why don’t you work extra hours on Friday nights?
(星期五晚上加班怎么样?)
I prefer to have free time.
(我更愿意这个时间能自由支配。)
prefer to ... “宁愿……”。
I prefer free time instead.
instead “相反”。
I’d rather have free time.
would rather ... “宁愿……”、 “做……更好”。
你周末能上班吗?
Can you work on weekends?
(你周末能上班吗?)
Maybe once in a while.
(偶尔的话也许可以。)
once in a while “有时”、 “偶尔”。
Will you be able to work weekends?
Are you available to work weekends?
available “有空的”、“ (时间等)可以利用的”。
你明天上班吗?
Are you working tomorrow?
(你明天上班吗?)
Yes, but only until noon.
(上, 但就到中午。)
be ...ing表示不久的将来的预定和打算。
Do you work tomorrow?
Are you supposed to work tomorrow?
(你明天要上班吗?)
be supposed to ... “预计要做……”。
他又要干到很晚。
He’s burning the midnight oil again.
(他又要干到很晚。)
He really should get more sleep.
(他应该有更多的睡眠。)
burn “燃烧”。midnight “午夜”、 “夜里12点”。burn the midnight oil是习惯用语, 意思是“工作
到很晚”, 因为“深夜还燃着灯油点着亮”。
He’s staying up all hours of the night.
stay up “不去睡”。
He’s burning the candle at both ends.
burn the candle at both ends直译是“蜡烛两头都点着火”。也就是从“从多方面过分迅猛地消耗精力”
的意思引申为“从早到晚地工作”。
熬夜也要把它做完。
Let’s get it done even if we have to stay up all night.
(熬夜也要把它做完。)
I’m game. (好吧。)
even if ... “即使……”。
I’m game. 表示同意对方的建议, 意思是“好吧, 就这么做吧”。
It’s due tomorrow.
(明天是截止日期。)
I might have to work all night tonight.
(我今晚可能要干个通宵。)
might “可能……”, 表示推测。
We may have to pull an all-nighter to finish.
(我们也许要熬夜才能把它做完。)
pull an all-nighter是习惯用语, 意思是“通宵工作(或学习)”。
Let’s finish even if it takes us all night.
I may have to work through the night.
I could be working all night long.
搞不好我们要干个通宵。
I don’t think we can finish tonight.
(我想今晚是干不完了。)
If worst comes to worst, we’ll stay up all night.
(搞不好我们要干个通宵。)
if worst comes to worst是习惯用语, 意思是“最坏的情况是”、 “万一的话”。stay up 指“没睡”。
As a last resort, we’ll work all night.
as a last resort是习惯用语, 表示“作为最后的手段”。
The worst case scenario is that we’ll be here all night.
scenario “设想”、 “局面”、 “剧情说明”。
午夜过后我才能回家。
When will you be home?
(你什么时候回家?)
I’ll be getting home after midnight.
(午夜过后我才能回家。)
after midnight “夜里12点过后”。
I won’t be home until after midnight.
I’ll get home after midnight.
我差点儿赶不上末班车。
I barely made the last train.
(我差点儿赶不上末班车。)
I’m glad you didn’t miss it.
(你没错过真是太好了。)
barely “勉强”。make “赶上(火车等)”。the last train “末班车”。
glad “高兴”。miss “错过”。
I almost missed the last train.
(我差点儿错过末班车。)
almost “差点儿”。
I got on the last train at the last minute.
(我刚好赶上了末班车。)
get on “乘上”。at the last minute “最后关头”、 “刚好”。
我干了一个通宵。
You look really tired.
(你看起来很累。)
I stayed up all night working.
(我干了一个通宵。)
stay up “没睡”。all night “一晚上”。
I worked through the night.
Did you finish the report?
(你写完报告了吗?)
Yes, I was up all night working.
(写完了, 我昨晚一夜没睡。)
I didn’t sleep at all last night.
I pulled an all-nighter last night.
口语表达法。




