Unit17-5 文化差异
我们的外国客人在街上闲逛、观察了一阵子,发现这边的女性不喜欢晒太阳。他同时也注意到,这竟是亚洲文化的一部分,跟西方文有很大的不同。
Did you happen…?你恰巧……吗?
用来询问他人是否碰巧做了什么。
Did you happen to bump uUo the professor in the ballwy?
你刚好在走廊遇到教授吗?
That does it…够了
用在“当某人满足于某事,或某事已经超出极限”时。
That does it;I'm sick of his lies,
真是够了,我已经受够他的谎言了。
doesn't leave muchoption…没有多少选择
用来形容一个没有多少选择的情况。
That doesn't leave much option for him being stuck ui tllat situation.
他受困于那种情况之下,实在没有多少选择。
模拟对话
Keep the sun away!讨厌晒太阳
Jerry:Did you happen to bring an umbrella?I think it's raining outside.
杰瑞:你刚好带雨伞吗?我觉得外面在下雨。
Tom:That reminds me,I was going to ask you something What's the deal with womch carrying umbrellas when it's even raining?
汤姆:这倒提醒我要问你一件事,那些女人在晴空下也要带着伞到底是怎么回事?
Jerry:I think they just don't want to become dark from the sun.
杰瑞:我觉得她们只是不想被太阳晒黑。
Tom:Americans and Europeans love a good tan. Why has that not affected the people here?
汤姆:美国人和欧洲人都毫欢把皮肤晒成健康的小麦色。为什么这样的观念没有影响到东方人呢?
Jerry:I think it's the skin color.Because Americans and Europcans have a lighter colored skin, the ladies here want to bc white. lt's a psycholog-ical thing.When you're dark you want to be white, and when you're white you want to be dark.
杰瑞:我觉得跟肤色有关。因为美国人与欧洲人的肤色比较浅,因此我们这边的女人就会想要变白。这是心理因素,当你很黑你就会想要变白,而当你很白的时候,你就会想晒黑一点。
词汇解说
umbrella (n.)雨伞
tan (n.)棕褐色的皮肤
psychological (adj.)心理的,精神的




